Hiring a designer can be a tough call to make for a lot of small business owners or bloggers with a very tight budget. Many people want to DIY their brand and visual identities, which is totally understandable. So, when is the right time to hire a designer? There are so many free tools out there for making websites, but you have to remember that not everyone is a designer. Sure, you can create a logo in Picnik, add a few widgets to your WordPress template, but there comes a time when you know that in order to take it to the next level, you must hire a professional designer.
But, in the beginning it might be necessary to DIY everything. Here are some reasons why:
- You are just starting out and still aren’t sure what your new business or blog really is. You are still getting the hang of everything and need more time to really think about what the business is, what it does, and what you are offering your customers/readers that others aren’t.
- You have a very small budget that won’t get you the design expertise that you need. There is nothing worse than throwing out money, even if it’s only $150, to a designer that will design a “custom” blog header with a fancy-pants background. Then, you go to your friend’s blog and theirs looks identical. Oops! Save up your money for a real designer, your brand and your wallet will thank you.
When you are ready to take your business to the next level, you should hire a professional designer. Designers are educated to turn a meaning into a visual element, and that’s exactly what they will do with your brand’s message. Designers will bring a culture to your business, corporation or blog.
Here are the times when you should consider hiring a professional designer to kick your business up a notch:
- You know your business, inside and out. You’ve been in business for more than a year, know the hard work it takes, have experienced hard times and good times.
- You know what clients you want to be working with and you know what clients you don’t want to be working with. It’s amazing what a new logo and website can do to reflect your personalities and business values.
- When you want to look more professional and play with the “big-dogs” for the first time.