If you’ve been following me for a while, you’re aware that I’ve had my fair testing of different mailing list softwares. More specifically – Mailchimp, Aweber and Infusionsoft. (Another post more directed at the differences between Mailchimp and Aweber coming soon).
Most recently, you’ve probably heard of the many issues I’ve had with Infusionsoft and my search for an alternative.
Beyond, the more-than-useless, “success coach” they assigned to me (that I payed $1300 for and later demanded my money back), there was one technical glitch after another.
Like… how you can only use Firefox and IE when you’re working within campaigns… the most important part of the entire software.
Anyways, after testing it out for a few months, I finally decided that Infusionsoft (which from here on out, is going to be referred to as “IFS”) and I had to part ways.
As much as I thought (read: wanted) my business to be ready for IFS, the truth was – IT WASN’T. And that’s just something I had to be okay with. I could have hired someone to take over the IFS tasks, but then I’d be paying $259/mo for the software alone plus $500+/mo for someone to help me use it. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me… someone who has become quite the outsourcing fanatic, as of late.
So, I went on a hunt for a perfect alternative to IFS, and if you’re in the same position as me…
- You are a small creative business
- You want to sell digital products
- You have a mailing list
- You want everything to be streamlined & easy to manage
… then you’ll likely get a good head start to finding your perfect alternative to IFS.
→ IFS was too much for my needs
→ IFS was way too expensive for my budget
→ Other alternatives didn’t have all the features I was looking for
One major lesson I’ve learned :: Just because someone you admire uses it, doesn’t mean you’re ready for it.
[Tweet “Business doesn’t have to be so hard, and either do your systems.”]
MY LIST OF MUST-HAVE FEATURES:
- Payment gateways include Paypal & Authorize.net
- Mailing list integration with Aweber
- Affiliate management system
- Discount codes
- Automatic File Delivery
* Bonus points if all these things came in ONE software solution
A FEW ALTERNATIVES I CHECKED OUT (AND WHY THEY DIDN’T WORK FOR ME):
- Pulley App :: no mailing list integration or affiliate management system.
- Sellfy :: was using this for a bit, but I didn’t like the % per transaction fee they charged each time someone purchased something. The fees definitely added up.
- E-Junkie :: have also used this in the past, but after they had a system failure on the day I launched the Irresistible Offerings live coaching program, I was donezo. Also, awful interface.
- Selz :: don’t like the per transaction fee they charge.
I also thought about just using good ole fashioned Paypal buttons, but decided that the Affiliate management system and automatic file delivery features were too important to leave out.
I ran across this resources page while googling, “how to integrate Pulley app with Aweber”.
I scrolled down to the Shopping Cart Systems section, and recognized three out of four software names listed. The “Digital Delivery App” was the only one I hadn’t heard of. I clicked and it took me to the rebranded app called SendOwl… much better name.
Turned out – it had everything I was looking for.
<< insert major happy dancing >>
And, for those who are interested in seeing how SendOwl and Aweber combine to create a streamlined system, the purchasing process steps are below.
If you’re interested in testing SendOwl, you can sign up for a 15 day trial here.
HERE’S HOW THE PURCHASING PROCESS LOOKS:
- Customer purchases via SendOwl link that I place on my website.
- Upon successful purchase, they’ll receive an email from SendOwl with any download files or links and automatically be redirected to the page with the download links.
- They will also receive a confirmation email from Aweber asking them to confirm their email so they can be notified if there are ever any updates to the product they just purchased (you can also send them emails directly through SendOwl based on the product they purchased) and so I can keep tabs on who’s purchasing what through my own mailing list.
- SendOwl saves the reports on who has purchased, that you can easily download and add to a customer database if you want (I just keep everything in SendOwl so it’s there when/if I need it).
Super easy & integrated.
Oh, and WAY more cost effective…
After attending the Making Things Happen conference, which I talked about here, I made a promise to myself that I’d stop listening to what other people thought I should be using for my business and just listen to what my gut was telling me. My gut was telling me to SIMPLIFY.
This is my first step (and a huge step) towards simplifying my business so I can focus on the things that really matter :: creating helpful programs, designing beautiful & passion-driven brands for my clients, and doings things I love to do outside of my business (painting, reading, walking my dog and the list goes on).
TALK TO ME
What are some other ideas for simplifying in your business? Tell me in the comments below.
PS. I’m getting ready to re-launch the Irresistible Offerings eCourse as a self-study program that you can take at your own pace. If you want to make sure you’re on the list to learn more, sign up here: http://irresistibleofferings.com/
PPS. If you signed up via that page before, make sure to sign up again if you’re still interested in the workshop. Now that I’m moving people over, you will have to re-confirm anyways, so I’m just going to do a brand new list for people who are still interested.
PPPS. If you use any of the SendOwl links above, I will get a commission if you choose to sign up for a paid account. I, however, only promote products that I’ve personally used and tested, so you know you’re in good hands.